Family members of the late Patrick Nugent are to meet with Department of Justice officials next week to discuss the findings of an inquiry into the investigation of his death in 1984.

A Garda investigation, a criminal trial, and an inquest have all failed to establish the full truth around the death of the Bunratty Castle banqueting manager.

Patrick’s family initially believed he suffered a heart attack but a postmortem later revealed he died after sustaining extensive internal injuries consistent with a road traffic collision. The 1985 pathology report concluded Mr Nugent was not standing upright when he was apparently struck by a car.

Minister for Justice, Heather Humphreys (FG) confirmed on Tuesday that the long-awaited advice from the Attorney General had been received. She said an in-person meeting was to take place next week with the Nugent family to explain the next steps regarding Judge Clyne’s final report

Clare TD, Michael McNamara (IND) who has raised the matter on numerous occasions in the Dáil told The Clare Echo, ““I am glad that the family will get to discuss the report. It seems that a very serious crime wasn’t investigated properly. The report needs to be published, first for the Nugent family but also for broader society who have a lot of questions”.

Deirdre Nugent, a sister-in-law of Patrick’s said the family remains in limbo with no guarantee of seeing the report. “I would imagine the report will be comprehensive, so it’s very hard to pre-empt what’s going to be in it. The years have rolled into one other, but whatever happens, the family is not going to give up on this, we need the truth, and we need justice”.

Related News

Lahinch - The Daily Click
Disappointment but no surprise as Lahinch loses Blue Flag status
delta united aer lingus shannon airport 1-2
Chicago & New York routes return to strengthen Shannon's transatlantic traffic
cathaoirleach awards 1-2
Community champions honoured at Galway Cathaoirleach's awards
saoirse lillis mcmahon 1
'Our goodbyes were stolen' by drinking motorist who killed Michael, say family
Latest News
Peadar-Tom Mercier
€33.8k to be split among 13 recipients in Artist Support Scheme
Lahinch - The Daily Click
Disappointment but no surprise as Lahinch loses Blue Flag status
delta united aer lingus shannon airport 1-2
Chicago & New York routes return to strengthen Shannon's transatlantic traffic
woodstock golf club
Close to 100 teams play classic in memory of Carmel & Ena
cathaoirleach awards 1-2
Community champions honoured at Galway Cathaoirleach's awards
Premium
Kelly making the most of the big days on and off the pitch
Minister defends decision to choose new hospital for region before visiting Clare
Seven quarter-final spots filled in Clare Cup following penultimate round
Profits increased threefold to €3.12m at Atlantic Aviation Group
Cusack Park 'needs development' - board told stand of county grounds 'not fit for purpose'

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.