*Photograph: Arthur Ellis. 

DISCUSSIONS HAVE commenced within the Trump organisation on the renaming of the Doonbeg five star resort.

During a whistlestop tour of West Clare across two days last week, former US President, Donald Trump announced the property was to be renamed. Acquired by the Trump family in 2014, it is currently called Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Doonbeg Ireland.

Speaking following a round of golf in Doonbeg on Thursday, Trump said it was to be renamed Trump Doonbeg on the Ocean. “We have the ocean and nobody else does,” he remarked of the rationale behind the move.

As part of the rebranding, the Trump name will remain on the property, the seventy six year old confirmed. “It’s not a new name, but we’re adding the word ‘Ocean’. Because I said to myself, ‘it’s on the ocean, if it’s on the ocean, we call it Doonbeg on the Ocean, we have the ocean, and nobody else does, so that’s what we’re calling it”.

It is unclear but unlikely that Trump’s announcement had been discussed with Doonbeg based management in advance.

The Clare Echo understands that discussions have now commenced with the Trump Organisation headquartered in New York City.

Trump remained confident he would defeat sitting US President, Joe Biden in the next election. “I could win it three times,” he commented while wearing a a Make America Great Again (Maga) cap.

Donald was accompanied by his son Eric as well as members of the US secret service as he departed in a golf buggy.

His visit was cut short as he had to return to New York City for a civil rape case where jurors decided Trump sexually abused magazine writer E. Jean Carroll in the 1990s and then defamed her by branding her a liar.

The nine-member jury in Manhattan federal court awarded about $5m in compensatory and punitive damages. The jury deliberated for just under three hours. It rejected Mr Trump’s denial that he assaulted Ms Carroll and ruled in her favour. To find him liable, the jury of six men and three women was required to reach a unanimous verdict.

Related News

church street scariff 1-2
Ennis teenager (14) remains on bail following car thefts in Scariff & Gort
ADI Robotics Clare 041
Robotics workshop rolled out in thirteen Clare schools
flagmount ns 1
Schools 'on tenterhooks' over paused plans to cut SNAs
LCSP1-2
Anti-social behaviour group set up in Ballinasloe
Latest News
clare v wexford camogie 21-02-26 maeve milliea 1
Clare pick up first league win at Wexford's expense
st flannans college v kilkenny cbs 21-02-26 patrick finnernan 1
Final flourish sends St Flannan's into Croke Cup semi-finals
bohermore 2
CCTV delays criticised as attacks on sports facilities increase
church street scariff 1-2
Ennis teenager (14) remains on bail following car thefts in Scariff & Gort
galway greyhound stadium
Colossal Journey makes winning trip to Galway
Premium
Clare player ratings vs Fermanagh: Big hits rolled out to ignite Clare challenge
Schools 'on tenterhooks' over paused plans to cut SNAs
Hammer blows leaves Bohannon & Rouine as big injury doubts
Ruan act of vandalism does not reflect local views
'We want to build steel and the skills will follow' - Foudy focused on building spirit of Clare side

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.