*Clare’s John Conlon. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

CLARE SHOULD HAVE LED by more than three points at half-time in the Munster senior hurling final, centre back John Conlon has said.

Conlon who is Clare’s most experienced and longest serving player has lined out in four Munster finals but remains without a provincial medal at the grade.

Speaking to The Clare Echo following their successive one point Munster final defeat to Limerick, the Clonlara man outlined, “We knew coming into the Gaelic grounds today that we were ready for the game. You could see that in our first half performance, we were excellent. We probably left a few scores behind us. We should have been going in a bit more ahead at half time”.

Reflecting on the game, the 2013 All-Ireland winner stated, “Limerick were very good in that third quarter as usual, they tore into the game. We responded very well and we had our chances near the end to force a draw, we just maybe left it too late and its very disappointing”.

Conlon continued, “we are very proud of the way we hurled today, we just didn’t get over the line. We knew it was going to be a titanic battle. We thought coming in that we had a great chance, I’m just really disappointed”.

“We will dust ourselves down tomorrow and Tuesday and get back to training later on in the week. The work is done its just trying to get the body right for two weeks time again”.

Conor Cleary’s absence from the Clare defence was a loss, the primary school teacher acknowledged. “Any team missing someone especially in a defensive area, someone that has been there the whole time would find it difficult, He was a huge loss, he was one of our main men all year .Hopefully we can get him back for two weeks time”.

Looking ahead to their quarter-final showdown with either the winners of Dublin or Carlow, the centre back said, “it’s a new ball game now, win the next day and we are back where we want to be, back in Croke Park. We have a few demons from there last year that we want to address. You never know, we might meet each other again later on”, he said moments after watching Limerick captain Declan Hannon accept the Mick Mackey cup and claim their fifth Munster senior title in a row.

Related News

chloe jake corry 1
Record number of 350 cyclists for Odd Socks Cycle in Clare
maxresdefault
Clare-based podcast ‘Weshtern Philosophy’ returns for season 3
galway arts centre 1
Six month pilot launched to provide greater access to arts & culture
fire harmony row 02-04-25
Emergency crews tackle blaze in Ennis

Advertisement

Latest News
clare v limerick minor 18-04-24 graham ball 1
Clare minor hurlers looking to make their mark as championship commences
diarmuid mcmahon
McMahon to become Ennis Chamber President for second time
galway arts centre 1
Six month pilot launched to provide greater access to arts & culture
clare v waterford u20 04-05-24 james organ 1
Organ helps Clare grind out win over Waterford
fire harmony row 02-04-25
Emergency crews tackle blaze in Ennis
Premium
claire joe collins 1
'Check upstairs & outside' - inquest hears details on death of Kilnaboy couple
john carmody 2
Antrim were deserving league winners says Carmody as Clare fall short
clare v cork u20 26-03-25 diarmuid stritch 1
Clare target better shooting efficiency & first championship win for Déise date
cork v clare u20 01-05-25 evan cahill 1
Clare's U20 footballers lose by nine points to Cork in Quilty
clare v limerick u20 22-03-25 luke pyne 1
Clare U20 footballers 'relishing chance' to play three more games in Munster

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.

Advertisement