*Helga Himmeslbach campaigning for improved road measures in August. Photograph: John Mangan

A FRENCH tourist appeared in court on Wednesday, March 20th and was charged with the dangerous driving causing the death of a 71 year old motorcyclist outside the Burren village of Ballyvaughan in north Clare last July.

At Ennis District Court, Oliver Le Bozec  (41) appeared after being charged with dangerous driving causing the death of Jeremiah (Jerry) O’Connor on the N67 leading out of Ballyvaughan on the morning of July 27th last.

Mr. O’Connor, who lived locally, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Solicitor for Mr. Le Bozec, John Casey told the court previously that his client, wife and child have arrived in Ireland just the day before to commence their holiday here.

A Book of Evidence was served in the case today and Judge Adrian Harris sent Mr Le Bozec forward to trial to the next sittings of Ennis Circuit Court.

Mr Le Bozec of Rue Georges Cadoudal, Locoal Mendon, France was driving on his own French registered car when the collision occurred.

In evidence of arrest, charge and caution before court on Wednesday morning, Garda Noreen King told the court that Mr Le Bozec made no reply after charge and caution.

Mr Le Bozec – who turns 42 next month – required the services of a French interpreter for today’s hearting and Sgt John Burke said that Mr Le Bozec could be remanded on continuing bail on the same terms.

Mr Le Bozec – who is in full time employment in France – is free to return home to France pending the case coming before Ennis Circuit Court.

Mr Casey applied that the legal aid certificate be extended to allow two barristers also represent Mr Le Bozec in the circuit court and for the Book of Evidence to be translated into French.

Thos convicted of dangerous driving causing death in the circuit court can face up to five years in prison.

Judge Harris gave Mr Le Bozec the alibi warning that if an alibi formed part of his defence that he must inform the State of it within 14 days.

Since her husband’s death, Mr. O’Connor’s widow, Helga Himmelsbach has been campaigning for improved signage and safer roads in the Ballyvaughan region.

Ms Himmelsbach has said that she is hopeful Mr O’Connor’s death will be the catalyst for critical traffic calming measures in the region.

Related News

pepper 1
Sentencing of Pepper Group laptop thief postponed until Leaving Cert concludes
claire joe collins 1
'Check upstairs & outside' - inquest hears details on death of Kilnaboy couple
nile óg cusacks 1
Barefield family fun run & walk to raise funds for Clare group volunteering in Uganda
mick guinee 2
End of an era in Ei as Mick Guinee steps down as CEO

Advertisement

Latest News
nile óg cusacks 1
Barefield family fun run & walk to raise funds for Clare group volunteering in Uganda
john carmody 2
Antrim were deserving league winners says Carmody as Clare fall short
mick guinee 2
End of an era in Ei as Mick Guinee steps down as CEO
clare v cork u20 26-03-25 diarmuid stritch 1
Clare target better shooting efficiency & first championship win for Déise date
cork v clare u20 01-05-25 evan cahill 1
Clare's U20 footballers lose by nine points to Cork in Quilty
Premium
cork v clare u20 01-05-25 evan cahill 1
Clare's U20 footballers lose by nine points to Cork in Quilty
clare v limerick u20 22-03-25 luke pyne 1
Clare U20 footballers 'relishing chance' to play three more games in Munster
scariff sign 1
Judge triples prison time for Scariff bottom biter
clare v laois 15-03-25 cillian brennan 1
'We take real pride in performing in Cusack Park' - Clare captain Brennan
harry dinan 1
Dinan who was convicted of killing Clare school teacher pleads guilty to drug dealing

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.

Advertisement