*Photograph: Joe Buckley

SPEED RESTRICTIONS which had been in place at Sixmilebridge train station are expected to be lifted this week.

On Saturday, an illegal encampment was removed from the train station after two years and five months.

Members of An Garda Síochána armed with an enforcement notice instructed the occupants of the final caravan to leave the site on Saturday morning. At its peak, there had been four caravans at the train station following their arrival from the grounds of St Senan’s RFC in Shannon.

Iarnród Éireann had instructed their drivers since March to proceed at caution through Sixmilebridge due to the presence of the encampment.

This had resulted in delays of five to ten minutes and longer for rail users.

A spokesperson for Iarnród Éireann told The Clare Echo that the delays are now hoped to become a thing of the past. “Following the resolution of this issue by Clare County Council, we are doing a final review of the site – we expect the speed restriction which had been in place due to trespass issues to be removed in the coming days, ensuring improved punctuality for Limerick to Ennis/Galway services”.

Related News

grow mental health 1
Kilmaley social dancing raises €2k for Grow Mental Health
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
Latest News
toonagh céilí 1
Toonagh Céilí brings in €1.2k for Clare branch of Alzheimer Society
éire óg v clooney:quin 05-10-25 gerry o'connor 7
'We're not sure how high our ceiling is' - O'Connor says Éire Óg have no fear for Munster final with Ballygunner
tommy hegarty highview ben 1
Lucky thirteen for Highview Ben
éire óg v inagh kilnamona 07-09-25 darragh stack 1
Darragh bringing the right mindset to Éire Óg's attempts for Munster glory
o'callaghans mills vs upperchurch drombane 29-11-25 nicky o'toole 1
Fireballs see red as The Mills finish with 12 men in controversial Munster final defeat
Premium
Darragh bringing the right mindset to Éire Óg's attempts for Munster glory
Fireballs see red as The Mills finish with 12 men in controversial Munster final defeat
'It's nearly time for pre-season & we're getting ready for a Munster final' - Nugent relishing Mills campaign
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.