*Shannon Gaels midfielder, Darragh Bohannon. Photograph: Burren Eye Photography

AN APPEAL has been lodged by Shannon Gaels following their exit from the Clare IFC.

It took sudden death in a penalty shootout to separate Kildysart and Shannon Gaels in Sunday’s quarter-final with Emmet McMahon netting the winning penalty to send last year’s beaten finalists through to the semi-finals.

That the two teams are neighbours and local rivals added to the drama before a ball was kicked with many of the players on both sides having attended school together and also winning the U21A championship last year as part of the Cill Cúil Gaels amalgamation.

McMahon scored the first and last penalty for the winners. Luke McGrath, Rory McMahon and Conor Hassett also hit the target for the three-time intermediate champions. A miss from Brian Eyers saw the tie decided via sudden death.

Aaron Malone Smyth had two penalties saved for the Gaels who saw Fergal Kenny, Tomás Cleary, Darragh Bohannon and Eoin Keane hit the back of the net.

However, it emerged following the game that two of the Kildysart penalty takers, Rory McMahon and Conor Hassett had not featured in extra time yet took spot kicks.

Speaking to The Clare Echo on Tuesday night, Shannon Gaels manager, Michael Crehan said they were awaiting the submission of referee Pat Keane’s report to the County Board before making their next move.

On Wednesday, Shannon Gaels formally lodged an appeal with the County Board. “I can confirm that Shannon Gaels have lodged an objection to Kildysart introducing six substitutes in extra time which is there more than the allowed number,” secretary of Shannon Gaels, David O’Connell told The Clare Echo.

With the appeal only lodged, no date for a hearing has been set. However, as per GAA guidelines, the Shannon Gaels hearing will have to take place within three days and Clare GAA officials are hopeful to convene a meeting before the weekend.

A potential delay to the Clare IFC is on the cards as a result with the possibility of a replay one outcome if Shannon Gaels are successful in their appeal, the hosting of such a fixture could push the semi-finals back by two weeks.

Related News

galway arts centre 1
Six month pilot launched to provide greater access to arts & culture
fire harmony row 02-04-25
Emergency crews tackle blaze in Ennis
pepper 1
Sentencing of Pepper Group laptop thief postponed until Leaving Cert concludes
claire joe collins 1
'Check upstairs & outside' - inquest hears details on death of Kilnaboy couple

Advertisement

Latest News
clare v waterford u20 04-05-24 james organ 1
Organ helps Clare grind out win over Waterford
fire harmony row 02-04-25
Emergency crews tackle blaze in Ennis
pepper 1
Sentencing of Pepper Group laptop thief postponed until Leaving Cert concludes
claire joe collins 1
'Check upstairs & outside' - inquest hears details on death of Kilnaboy couple
nile óg cusacks 1
Barefield family fun run & walk to raise funds for Clare group volunteering in Uganda
Premium
clare v cork u20 26-03-25 diarmuid stritch 1
Clare target better shooting efficiency & first championship win for Déise date
cork v clare u20 01-05-25 evan cahill 1
Clare's U20 footballers lose by nine points to Cork in Quilty
clare v limerick u20 22-03-25 luke pyne 1
Clare U20 footballers 'relishing chance' to play three more games in Munster
scariff sign 1
Judge triples prison time for Scariff bottom biter
clare v laois 15-03-25 cillian brennan 1
'We take real pride in performing in Cusack Park' - Clare captain Brennan

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.

Advertisement