Michael McNamara

CLARE TD, Michael McNamara (IND) has confirmed he will vote against the Government in Tuesday’s no confidence motion tabled by Sinn Féin.

Sinn Féin tabled the motion of no confidence in the Government after it lost its majority last week when former Minister for Education, Joe McHugh (FG) voted against the defective concrete blocks legislation.

Members of the Clare Pyrite Action Group have criticised Cathal Crowe TD (FF) and Joe Carey TD (FG) for not resigning their party whip over the vote while they were left disappointed when Violet Anne Wynne TD (SF) was not present for the vote, Deputy McNamara opposed the legislation.

On Tuesday, Sinn Féin’s motion will go before the Dáil ahead of its summer recess which begins on Thursday. McHugh, former Fianna Fáil TD, Marc McSharry (IND) and Tipperary TD, Michael Lowry (IND) have confirmed they will be supporting the Government.

Explaining the reasoning for his stance, Deputy McNamara said his was vote was “because the Government is making no attempt to control the things it can control”. The Taoiseach, Micheál Martin (FF) contacted the Scariff native since the motion was tabled.

McNamara felt the Government was not affording sufficient time for debate and accused it of making a mess of legislation and “doing things in a careless way”. He stated, “Laws are boomeranging out of the Oireachtas and straight into the courts, where they are found faulty, and boomeranging back into the Dáil. And still the Government doesn’t learn. It is hastily preparing legislation and then according half an hour to debating it, so that it is not properly produced and examined.

Deputy Wynne confirmed on Monday evening that she remains on maternity leave and is still in a pairing arrangement until after the summer recess.

Criticism of the move from Sinn Féin was voiced by Government parties with both Deputy Carey and Minister for Higher Education, Simon Harris (FG) calling it “a stunt”. The Taoiseach expressed his belief that the Government will defeat the Sinn Féin no-confidence motion, but insisted no side deals have been done to achieve it. He blasted Sinn Féin for wanting an emergency budget last week and a general election this week. He said the budget, now scheduled for September, would be jeopardised were the country plunged into a snap general election.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.