LACK OF ATTENTION to the Killaloe Market is a lost opportunity, a Clare TD has said while also describing the move to complete remedial works of the pedestrian bridge in the summer season as “ill-judged”.

Deputy Michael McNamara (IND) met with senior officials in Clare County Council including Chief Executive, Pat Dowling this week.

During this engagement, the Scariff native flagged that the lack of attention to the site was a lost opportunity for the town and the wider area and was restricting the volume of traders and visitors able to attend the weekly market. Killaloe’s weekly market is held every Sunday from 11am to 3pm.

McNamara said the Council’s decision to undertake remedial works to the pedestrian bridge, one of two access points to the picturesque riverside location market, during the peak summer season was “ill-judged” and required an explanation.

He told The Clare Echo, “Located on a sliver of land between the Canal and the River Shannon, known locally as ‘between the waters’, the market is accessed from the main bridge crossing in Killaloe and from an additional metal pedestrian bridge at Royal Parade. However, ongoing upgrade works to the pedestrian bridge has resulted in the loss of much-needed car parking spaces and market space in what is already a relatively tight trading area”.

Works to the pedestrian bridge should have been deferred, McNamara maintained. “The decision to close the pedestrian bridge in the peak summer period in Killaloe Municipal District’s biggest town and one of Clare’s most important tourism centres is ill-judged. Instead, these works should have taken place earlier in the year or held off until late autumn or winter.”

“Immediate improvements could be made through the relocation of the existing bottle bank to a different location in Killaloe and a commitment to ensure the public toilet remains operational at all times, which was not the case last weekend. I hope the Chief Executive of Clare County Council will take my observations on board and will work with the Area Office and local Councillors to explore opportunities for the future management and development of the site, which would greatly benefit both the tourism sector and the local economy,” he concluded.

Related News

carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 shop 1
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support
garda youth awards winners 2
Clare teenagers inspire as winners of eight annual Garda Youth awards are named
judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
micheál macgearailt 1
Shannon group has nationwide appeal
Latest News
kerry vs clare 25-04-26 emmet mcmahon manus doherty 1
Emmet named in Clare squad for first time of 2026 as injuries begin to heal for footballers
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 shop 1
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 tony kelly 5
Rodgers & Taylor ruled out but Kelly included in Clare team with first starts for Galvin & Fitz
51mUs3LO2nL
Targeted solutions for prevention and healing of acne breakouts / problematic skin
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 diarmuid ryan craig morgan 1
'Our year was on the line' - Ryan & Clare issue response to reignite championship campaign
Premium
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
Gough brings guile to Newmarket Celtic for unbeaten league success
Clare sweat on injured trio for effective Munster semi-final
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
Clare target return to All-Ireland quarter-finals

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.