A judge has warned of ‘threats of Tik-Tok’ as he directed a man to today delete all photos and videos of his ex-girlfriend from his mobile phone.

At the Family Law Court in Ennis, Judge Alec Gabbett told the man “there are plenty more fish in the sea” before the man gave a sworn undertaking to stay away from his ex-girlfriend.
The two are young adults and Judge Gabbett told the man: “There are plenty more fish in the sea. Off you go. Leave her alone. Okay?”
The man replied “yes” and gave a sworn undertaking from the witness box that he wouldn’t put the woman in fear; wouldn’t communicate with her by phone, online or Snapchat and wouldn’t watch or beset her.
The man gave the sworn undertaking on the basis that the temporary Protection Order the woman had previously obtained against him in court on an ex-parte basis would be struck out.
Solicitor for the man, Shiofra Hassett said that the contents of the woman’s statement grounding the Protection Order “were inflammatory and denied”.
When asked by Judge Gabbett if he had photographs and videos of the woman on his mobile phone, the man replied ‘yes’.
Judge Gabbett told him: “Delete them today.”
Judge Gabbett warned the man that the Gardai could search his phone.
Ms Hassett said: “The photos are not in that vein judge – in case the court thought they were of a certain nature. They were not part of the case.”
In reply, Judge Gabbett said: “The court will assume that they are of a certain nature – I don’t live under a rock.”
He said: “It is the same for all people of this age – there are threats of Tik-Tok and all sorts of things going on.”
Judge Gabbett told the woman: “If he gives you further trouble, you need to come back here and we will sort it out for you okay?”
Judge Gabbett told the man that the case “has all the hallmarks of someone who will end up with a criminal record” and he wouldn’t get past Garda vetting for parts of his work if he did get a record.
The court was told that there were no physical issues in the case – the grounds for the Protection Order concerned communication after the couple broke up.
Judge Gabbett said that the man “has not been dealing very well with the break up and he needs to move on”.
Judge Gabbett said with young people nowadays “it is far too easy to communicate with each other and that’s the problem – there is a great facility on mobile phones called ‘Block’”.

Related News

tom nolan jennifer carroll macneill 1
West Clare doctor tackles Health Minister over lack of investment in primary healthcare
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
Latest News
dermot hayes 1-2
'He gave everything to the community' - memorial bench for Dermot Hayes requested for new dialysis unit
lorna mcnamara 1-2
Player of the month award for Lorna Mc
atlantic aviation group
Profits increased threefold to €3.12m at Atlantic Aviation Group
adrian trueick 1-2
Co-founder of Knight Frank Ireland appointed to board of Shannon Airport Group
clare v cork 20-04-25 cusack park tickets 1
Cusack Park 'needs development' - board told stand of county grounds 'not fit for purpose'
Premium
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.