A Clare TD has said residents of an illegal encampment in Sixmilebridge are “taking the mick”.

For just under three months, an illegal encampment has been based at the car park of the railway station in Sixmilebridge having previously been on the grounds of St Senan’s RFC in Shannon for a brief period.

Clare TD, Cathal Crowe (FF) criticised the length of time the encampment has been left in Sixmileridge for. “I think the family of Travellers that have set up an encampment are taking the mick at this stage,” he stated. Deputy Crowe claimed that the persons travelled “when no one else was allowed to” and that the excuse of international travel has been used in their response for not vacating their current spot.

Deputy Crowe said he was in “regular contact” with Gardaí on the matter and described it as a “very frustrating” situation. “It is imperative that Travellers have a right to housing they have, it is enshrined in law but people waiting 8-10 years for a house need to know you can’t just rock up and have an encampment and say house us or else,” he added.

He urged An Garda Síochána and Clare County Council to involve the Courts system if offers of accommodation had not been accepted. “It needs to be proven that the housing system is fair and you don’t move up the list by rocking up to Sixmilebridge and having an encampment”.

Photograph: Joe Buckley

Cllr PJ Ryan (IND) who first raised the matter at Monday’s Clare JPC meeting bemoaned the fact that the encampment has been left in Sixmilebridge “for a considerable amount of time” leading to criticism from his constituents. “I know they’ve said they will not leave unless they get accommodation, my contacts in Clare County Council say they have been offered emergency accommodation”. He added, “People have said if they park in a double yellow line car would be towed but are wondering why these people have been left stay for so long.

Chief Superintendent, Seán Colleran confirmed that a summons had been issued in relation to the encampment. “We certainly have increased our checkpoints around the area for anyone who may be drawn to the location, we have engaged with Iarnród Éireann, our hands are tied as to what we can do”.

Increased visibility and checkpoints were recommended by Joe Carey TD (FG). “People are very concerned,” he detailed. “I know An Garda Síochána will play a role in trying to rectify the situation”.

“It is very frustrating for people to see they are moved out of Shannon very quickly and they can’t be moved now for whatever reasons,” Cllr Alan O’Callaghan (FF) commented. “When you see the postman dropping letters in there it is not reassuring for public that they will be moved,” he added.

A “proactive approach” will continue, Chief Supt Colleran informed the meeting. “Anywhere that attracts people that might or otherwise not be there we will up our patrolling,” he concluded.

Related News

carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 luke ashton tom o'callaghan gabriel keating 1
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 shop 1
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support
garda youth awards winners 2
Clare teenagers inspire as winners of eight annual Garda Youth awards are named
judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
Latest News
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 gabriel keating maura mckiernan 7
'Tremendous opportunity for Carrigaholt' says Keating with Irish College 'in the middle of planning process'
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 luke ashton tom o'callaghan gabriel keating 1
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
shelbourne park
Clare greyhounds strike in Shelbourne Park
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 brian lohan 1
Qualifying for All-Ireland series 'was crucial' says Lohan as Clare answer big questions
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 eoghan gunning ryan hayes thomas o'connor jamie moylan harry doherty 1
Terence's troops refusal to give in leads them to Munster glory
Premium
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
Qualifying for All-Ireland series 'was crucial' says Lohan as Clare answer big questions
Terence's troops refusal to give in leads them to Munster glory
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support
'Our year was on the line' - Ryan & Clare issue response to reignite championship campaign

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.