*Photograph by Chris Hathaway

Development plans estimated to cost €40m at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Doonbeg Ireland have been stalled by Clare County Council.

On Monday, the local authority sought further information from TIGL Ireland Enterprises Ltd on its plan to build 53 holiday cottages, a ballroom/function room, a leisure centre and a new restaurant at the West Clare resort. The firm which was set up by Trump to handle the running of the Clare hotel and golf resort has been requested to submit a revised Natura Impact Statement. Issues on some technical aspects with the proposal were queried by Clare County Council.

Up to 100 people are to be employed during the construction phase of the development if plans are approved. Last year, the Doonbeg resort recorded its best year since the Trump family took over ownership back in 2014.

According to documents included with the plans, overnights at the resort will increase by 10 to 15 percent along with higher individual room occupancy. It highlighted that the 53 short term let cottages, ballroom and leisure building are necessary for the completion of the masterplan as originally intended. The proposed ballroom and leisure facilities are intended to diversify the range of activities offered and compliment the hotel’s existing facilities. The banqueting facility that will cater for up to 300 people is to replace the marquee structure currently in place to cater for weddings. Two objections have been filed against the plans.

Separately, An Bord Pléanala have yet to decide if an oral hearing will be held into the appeal on plans for the well publicised 38,000 tonne sea wall which would prevent part of the golf course being eroded by the Atlantic Ocean.

Related News

shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
Latest News
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 stephen ryan 2
Clare footballers release four weeks of tension by collecting first league win
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
shannon airport fencing 2
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
Premium
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup
GALLERY: O'Callaghans Mills celebrate promotion to top tier at victory social
McNamara rescues a draw for Clare in capital league opener

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.