*Senator Timmy Dooley engages with the crowd. Photograph: Natasha Barton

Officials within the Department of Housing have been accused of “jiggery pokery” on the pyrite problem that is causing hundreds of homes to crumble across Co Clare.

On Wednesday of last week, Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage, Darragh O’Brien (FF) told Clare TD, Joe Carey (FG) that queries from his Department were issued to Clare County Council but no response had been received, “he didn’t anticipate any problems,” Carey said.

Senator Timmy Dooley (FF) said that as of Friday, senior officials in Clare County Council had yet to receive the communication from the Department. CaCathal Crowe TD (FF) detailed that the only correspondence received from the local authority on the matter since June was on costings.

This prompted strong criticism of the Department by Senator Dooley who he felt were “toing and froing” with the drafting of a report on the defective concrete blocks grant scheme, “the Department are playing jiggery pokery with it”. He continued, “I know how Departments can be very positive about doing stuff but they know how to dig their heels in”.

Dr Martina Cleary, founder of the Clare Pyrite Action Group said the officials were living in a false economy, “the longer they drag it out won’t make it any cheaper, every winter that passes the damage will be bigger”.

Much more synchronisation should have occurred between the Department and the local authority, Senator Martin Conway (FG) believed. “It is an awful situation where the Department are saying queries are out but the Council haven’t got them”.

Officials in Clare County Council have invested a lot of time into seeking resolutions for pyrite affected homeowners, Cllr Joe Cooney (FG). He described the Council’s Director of Service, Anne Haugh as “a fantastic woman”. This sentiment was echoed by Mary Hanley, an impacted homeowner from Drumline, “Martina has been working closely with Anne Haugh since the beginning, Anne Haugh has been absolutely fantastic”.

Related News

pepper 1
Sentencing of Pepper Group laptop thief postponed until Leaving Cert concludes
claire joe collins 1
'Check upstairs & outside' - inquest hears details on death of Kilnaboy couple
nile óg cusacks 1
Barefield family fun run & walk to raise funds for Clare group volunteering in Uganda
mick guinee 2
End of an era in Ei as Mick Guinee steps down as CEO

Advertisement

Latest News
pepper 1
Sentencing of Pepper Group laptop thief postponed until Leaving Cert concludes
claire joe collins 1
'Check upstairs & outside' - inquest hears details on death of Kilnaboy couple
nile óg cusacks 1
Barefield family fun run & walk to raise funds for Clare group volunteering in Uganda
john carmody 2
Antrim were deserving league winners says Carmody as Clare fall short
mick guinee 2
End of an era in Ei as Mick Guinee steps down as CEO
Premium
clare v cork u20 26-03-25 diarmuid stritch 1
Clare target better shooting efficiency & first championship win for Déise date
cork v clare u20 01-05-25 evan cahill 1
Clare's U20 footballers lose by nine points to Cork in Quilty
clare v limerick u20 22-03-25 luke pyne 1
Clare U20 footballers 'relishing chance' to play three more games in Munster
scariff sign 1
Judge triples prison time for Scariff bottom biter
clare v laois 15-03-25 cillian brennan 1
'We take real pride in performing in Cusack Park' - Clare captain Brennan

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.

Advertisement