Clare’s senior hurlers travel to UPMC Nowlan Park on Saturday wearing the favourites tag when they face off with Laois.

In their most recent game at the home of Kilkenny GAA which took place in February of this year, Clare shared the spoils with Brian Cody’s Cats. It was the only Allianz National League outing of 2020 that Brian Lohan’s men dropped points in what was an unbeaten group phase, their only defeat being the League decider with Limerick which also doubled up as the Munster SHC quarter-final.

When Laois and Clare faced off in the NHL in February, Clare recorded an eight point win with the majority of scores coming from Tony Kelly and Aron Shanagher.

Saturday is also Clare’s first competitive outing since the underwhelming ten point loss to Limerick. A starting fifteen will not be released until close to game-time. With the same fifteen lining out for the A team in an internal challenge game in Cusack Park on Sunday morning, it appears the former Clare great may opt to keep faith with the same team.

Wolfe Tones forward Aaron Cunningham was a surprise omission for the Limerick outing. The 2013 All-Ireland winner made a cameo appearance from the bench but was said to be in top form in the lead-up to the championship outing. He is expected to be given a far longer stint on the field this weekend.

His clubmate Aron Shanagher has proved to be a handful for Laois defences down through the years. He netted a hat-trick when the counties met in the 2016 championship.

Aidan McCarthy recovered from a broken thumb to be introduced the last day out and will be pressing for a starting spot. Retention of Clare’s puckouts and greater support for Tony Kelly in attack had been identified as areas in which improvement is necessary from the men in saffron and blue.

Laois manager Eddie Brennan has confirmed that they have sustained further injuries in advance of the game. Éanna Lyons has damaged his hamstring while Ronan Broderick and James Ryan have been ruled out with cruciate ligament and thumb injuries respectively. Wing-forward Stephen ‘Picky’ Maher is also doubtful for the tie.

“The hits keep on coming for us. What do you do, there will be three or four new faces coming into the starting 15 and three or four more into the squad. That’s what happens and we have to accept that. It is opportunities now for other guys. We had guys very disappointed that they didn’t get to travel with us to the Dublin game and other lads disappointed that they got no game time so they have opportunities now. Whatever 15 we have on the pitch, they have to firing on all cylinders and ready to go to war. That is where its at now. There are no more comebacks and it is our last chance to get an extension in this year’s championship,” the eight-time All-Ireland winner stated.

Related News

Kilrush Town Hall || Inset: Cllr Ian Lynch
New proposal seeks greater role for Kilrush students in local decision-making
TullaHouseRenders_Streetscape02_HiRes
Demand already high on Tulla development
cathal crowe ennis library 3
Clare TD criticises 'eulogising and heaping praise on thugs' following fatal M9 collision
john-torpey-01-09-20-7
Master craftsman John Torpey brought passion & pride to everything he did
Latest News
éire óg vs scariff 08-08-26 shane kavanagh o'donnell 1
Scariff scare was Éire Óg's toughest test in two years - O'Connor
TullaHouseRenders_Streetscape02_HiRes
Demand already high on Tulla development
cathal crowe ennis library 3
Clare TD criticises 'eulogising and heaping praise on thugs' following fatal M9 collision
newmarket-on-fergus vs clarecastle:ballyea camogie 14-08-26 caoimhe lally molly potter 1
CAMOGIE: Winning starts for Inamona, Truagh/Clonlara, Scariff/Ogonnelloe & Newmarket-on-Fergus
ben lyne 2
Ennis' Ben Lyne says no to Three Lions and answers Ireland's call
Premium
Feakle Festival hits the high notes with 'biggest festival ever'
'We were by no means perfect' - Éire Óg ship three goals for first time since 2020
Tones tuned for 'monster game' with Newmarket-on-Fergus
Munster GAA Chair accused of putting Kerry before province when defeating Clare proposal & GAA top brass back continued Allianz sponsorship
Ballyea 'don't have full control' on their fate heading into final round

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.