For the second year in a row, the Lisdoonvarna Matchmaking Festival has been cancelled.

Organisers of the world renowned festival confirmed on Monday that it would not be proceeding this September.

Tens of thousands of visitors flock to North Clare from all across Ireland and sections of the globe for the Matchmaking Festival which was due to take place across the month of September and began over 160 years ago.

Cancelling the Festival for two years on the trot will lead to a €5m loss to the local economy, organisers have stated while adding that rescheduling till later in the year was not an option.

Festival organiser, Marcus White in a statement outlined, “As the Government have advised that there should be no large-scale indoor events until the whole population has been vaccinated, this year’s Lisdoonvarna Festival has regrettably been cancelled. Many people, especially younger ones, will not be fully vaccinated before the end of September”.

He added, “All our events are staged inside including the country music marquee which can accommodate up to 2,000 people which is not permissible under current guidelines. We would not be able to manage the very large crowds that normally throng our small town for a month”. He was confident its return in 2022 would be “bigger and better than ever”.

Some business owners in Lisdoonvarna have expressed an interest in running socially distanced events, White said “which was their prerogative”. “We owe it to our customers and our performers; Nathan Carter, Derek Ryan, Mike Denver and Cliona Hagan, DJ’s and bands to provide clarity now that this year’s event would not go ahead. To be honest everyone has been very patient, as they understand that this is not a decision we have taken lightly”.

Julie Carr, Press officer for the Festival added that international interest in the festival had been at an all-time high this year, following the release of the new Hallmark Film ‘As luck would have it’. The film which was based loosely on the festival has resulted in thousands of people from the US and Canada wanting to attend.

Related News

carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 luke ashton tom o'callaghan gabriel keating 1
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 shop 1
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support
garda youth awards winners 2
Clare teenagers inspire as winners of eight annual Garda Youth awards are named
judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
Latest News
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 luke ashton tom o'callaghan gabriel keating 1
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
shelbourne park
Clare greyhounds strike in Shelbourne Park
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 brian lohan 1
Qualifying for All-Ireland series 'was crucial' says Lohan as Clare answer big questions
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 eoghan gunning ryan hayes thomas o'connor jamie moylan harry doherty 1
Terence's troops refusal to give in leads them to Munster glory
kerry vs clare 25-04-26 emmet mcmahon manus doherty 1
Emmet named in Clare squad for first time of 2026 as injuries begin to heal for footballers
Premium
Qualifying for All-Ireland series 'was crucial' says Lohan as Clare answer big questions
Terence's troops refusal to give in leads them to Munster glory
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support
'Our year was on the line' - Ryan & Clare issue response to reignite championship campaign
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.