*Photograph: John Mangan

A further 825 cases of COVID-19 have been diagnosed in the Republic of Ireland with latest data showing Co Clare to have the highest positivity rate for the virus over the past seven days.

On Monday evening, the Department of Health announced 825 cases of the virus. 78 percent of which occurred in individuals under the age of 45. Of the cases, 254 are in Dublin, 147 in Cork, 39 in Cavan, 38 in Donegal, 37 in Kildare with the remaining 310 cases are spread across 20 other counties. 12 of the cases announced today are in Co Clare.

Health officials have confirmed in the latest county by county breakdown which is of Saturday’s figures that 30 new cases have been reported in Co Clare.

Speaking at Monday’s press briefing, Chief Medical Officer, Dr Tony Holohan highlighted that Co Clare had the highest test positivity rate in the country. The figure for the county is at 11.5 percent and is followed by Monaghan (9.7%), Cavan (9.6%), Meath (9.6%).

Increased testing had been observed at the Cusack Park drive-thru facility in the past week.

Clare has the fourth highest 14 day incidence rate per 100,000 of the population at 266 behind Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan. 316 new cases of the virus have been diagnosed in the county from September 28th to October 11th.

An additional death has been alerted to the Health Protection Surveillance Centre bringing the country’s death toll to 1,827.

As of 2pm on Monday, 224 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 32 are in ICU. 20 additional hospitalisations were recorded in the past 24 hours.

Dr Holohan confirmed that the test positivity percentage was up to 5.6 percent over the past seven days with the figure reaching 6.2 percent on Saturday and 7.2 percent on Sunday. The five day average of cases is now at 754, he told Monday’s press briefing.

He urged individuals that were still in a position to work from home to continue to do so and noted an increase in personnel returning to working from offices.

“Now is not the time for house parties, playdates or birthday parties,” Dr Holohan stated as he encouraged further guidance with the public health advice.

Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Dr Ronan Glynn reiterated his advice that face coverings are a much more protective measure for the public rather than face visors.

Related News

the outing 09-02-24 12
Joint bid from The Outing, QuareClare & Limerick Pride shortlisted to host EuroPride 2028
lidl ennistymon 1
Lidl lodge appeal with An Bord Pleanála over Council refusing Ennistymon store
christopher harrington mark molloy 1
Collection of over 2,500 tonnes of litter the target for spring clean in Galway
ennistymon zebra 1
Concern over appearance of zebra foal at Ennistymon horse fair

Advertisement

Latest News
Status Red Weather Warning
Surprise orange fire warning for Clare
DSC_5438
Growing all year around with Clare Garden Festival
the outing 09-02-24 12
Joint bid from The Outing, QuareClare & Limerick Pride shortlisted to host EuroPride 2028
lidl ennistymon 1
Lidl lodge appeal with An Bord Pleanála over Council refusing Ennistymon store
christopher harrington mark molloy 1
Collection of over 2,500 tonnes of litter the target for spring clean in Galway
Premium
clare v waterford u20 04-05-24 james organ 1
Organ helps Clare grind out win over Waterford
pepper 1
Sentencing of Pepper Group laptop thief postponed until Leaving Cert concludes
claire joe collins 1
'Check upstairs & outside' - inquest hears details on death of Kilnaboy couple
john carmody 2
Antrim were deserving league winners says Carmody as Clare fall short
clare v cork u20 26-03-25 diarmuid stritch 1
Clare target better shooting efficiency & first championship win for Déise date

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.

Advertisement