RTÉ’s Home of the Year will not be naming a Co Clare winner this year.

Lifestyle show, Home of the Year returned for a seventh series last week on RTÉ ONE, the top twenty one houses included a Clare representative which featured in the first episode but did not progress to the grand final which will be held in April.

Based in the vicinity of Ballyalla, the re-designing of an early 1900s farmhouse by Trish O’Brien which is now her family home was praised by judges for its “effortless good design”, open plan space and bright, modern style with a mix of textures.

An interior designer, Trish designed a modern extension with an architect that linked to the original farmhouse. They gutted the farmhouse back to its original state so they could keep the traditional exterior. The extension is very modern with open plan spaces downstairs and has a glass link to the original house. The home has four bedrooms and was a big passion project for Trish.

Award-winning architect Amanda Bone remarked that the extension “almost looks like it’s floating” while the two storey entrance grabbed the attention of founding partner of Douglas Wallace Consultants, Hugh Wallace.

Judges then gave their marks out of ten for each house featured. Amanda remarked that it was an example of “effortless good design”, Hugh described it as an “inspired family home” while award winning interior designer Suzie Mc Adam said there was a “crisp clean architectural understanding of the farmhouse” but was unable to grasp the individuality of the home.

They gave the property a combined score of 24 out of 30 which was below the marks awarded to David O’Brien’s Cork countryside home that progressed to the final.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-05-26 jack kelly conor mcdaid david mccarthy 1
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
clare vs waterford 19-04-26 rg tony griffin 1
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Premium
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size
'We dug deep but our pockets weren't deep enough' - Hayes reflects on Clare's Munster minor exit

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.