Clare Bus will keep its fleet on the road for the immediate future as the National Transport Authority (NTA) have committed to funding the transport provider until the end of the year.

Since July, Clare Bus has had to deal with funding shortfalls. Mediation between Clare Bus and the NTA is to begin following the postponement of a Clare Accessible Transport board meeting which was due to discuss a possible closure of the service. Earlier this year, the NTA awarded the TCU contract for Clare Bus to Limerick Local Link,

A spokesperson for the NTA outlined in a statement that they have been advised of the financial difficulties and they were “working with Clare Bus to seek to maintain the delivery of the current suite of rural transport services for this month and next”. They have decided services will be put out to tender on a route by route basis rather than a Direct Award contract.

On Thursday last, a delegation from Clare Bus flagged their worry to Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shane Ross when they met at Bunratty Castle and Folk Park. “Michael Harty asked me specifically to meet Clare Bus who I met this morning. He was very sympathetic with their viewpoints, if you have a TD of that calibre who is asking me to look at it then I will certainly convey their message on to the NTA who are a body sympathetic to all approaches made to them. Whether they will apply for the tender or not that is going out I do not know but I would suggest they do so,” Ross told The Clare Echo.

Dr Harty in a statement to The Clare Echo described this meeting as “significant” in leading to talks between both organisations. “The NTA have slightly softened their stance and we must do everything we can to maintain what we have in Clare. It is a unique, community based bespoke service and no useful purpose whatever will be served by a tendering process which may award the contract to anyone from anywhere who can provide a bargain basement service at a cheaper price,” the Independent TD commented.

Related News

cratloe vs feakle 22-08-26 martin daly conor mcgrath enda boyce 1
Lohan behold as Cratloe edge thriller over Feakle at the death
Rural hedgerows in County Clare || Credit: Barry O’Loughlin
€25,000 hedge cutting scheme launched for County Clare
Dromoland Castle Golf Club, Dromoland Castle, Newmarket-on-Fergus, County Clare, Ireland #44
Dromoland Castle seeks planning for new golf maintenance hub
uhl front
UHL hospital parking income rises 222% as calls made to phase out charges
Latest News
shane flynn 1-2
Flynn among winners at President's Prize weekend in Shannon
Rural hedgerows in County Clare || Credit: Barry O’Loughlin
€25,000 hedge cutting scheme launched for County Clare
kilmihil vs st josephs doora:barefield ladies football 16-08-26 lucy power ailish considine 1
LADIES FOOTBALL: Back to back wins for Banner, Kilmihil & Kilmurry Ibrickane guarantees knockout spots
o'callaghans mills vs clooney quin 07-06-26 keith donnellan daragh keogh 1
Abacus' at the ready for final round of Clare SHC
Dromoland Castle Golf Club, Dromoland Castle, Newmarket-on-Fergus, County Clare, Ireland #44
Dromoland Castle seeks planning for new golf maintenance hub
Premium
‘West Clare is diminishing every day’ as calls grow for planning changes 
Scariff scare was Éire Óg's toughest test in two years - O'Connor
CAMOGIE: Winning starts for Inamona, Truagh/Clonlara, Scariff/Ogonnelloe & Newmarket-on-Fergus
Kilmaley must scale The Bridge to take top spot in Group 3
'Inagh/Kilnamona are best team in this year's Clare SHC'- says Clonlara boss Madden ahead of crunch clash

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.