*Barriers blocking the entrance to Sixmilebridge train station. Photograph: Joe Buckley

SIXMILEBRIDGE’S TRAIN station will remain without a car park for the next three weeks, at least.

Large concrete barriers have been in place at the entrance to the train station since July 27th blocking access for vehicles. This followed the removal of an illegal encampment which had been at the car park of the train station for two years and five months.

When the barriers were installed two months ago, a spokesperson for Clare County Council said “the closure is expected to be in place for the next three to four weeks” and that it was to “facilitate construction works allowing for an alteration to the entrance point. The boulders are a safety measure during these works”. Eight weeks on from that statement, the barriers remain in place.

Pressure was put on the local authority by councillors this week to reopen the car park. Cllr John Crowe (FG) said of the barriers, “it was great to see it going up”. He continued, “The scouts are back now and there is a congestion of traffic in the evening, it is going down along the road and driveways are blocked”.

Crowe felt it was time to “remove the barriers at this stage, we’re getting an awful lot of hassle from people using the railway station that still can’t get in”. He asked Council officials to “just finish it off and get it up and running. There was cars everywhere the other evening collecting people, one man was trying to come out his gate and a car was parked across his gate, he was there for a couple of hours and wasn’t able to get out. Remove the barriers and keep our fingers crossed”.

Speaking at Tuesday’s meeting of the Shannon Municipal District, Cllr PJ Ryan (IND) outlined that he was “inundated with calls from people on the opening of Sixmilebridge station. They are very bothered at the minute”.

Adding his voice to the accelerate the works was Cllr Pat O’Gorman (FF). “The faster it can be opened to take the danger off the road and let people who want to use the train station park in the car park and not be parked in housing estates across the road, the better”.

Senior executive engineer in the Shannon Municipal District, Tom Mellett confirmed that a height restriction barrier has been installed at the car park to the Sixmilebridge train station. He said, “we are looking at a three week timeline for Sixmilebridge to complete the anciliary works”.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 killian nugent oisin maunsell 1
'It's nearly time for pre-season & we're getting ready for a Munster final' - Nugent relishing Mills campaign
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.