*Photograph: John Mangan

RAIL SERVICES will be suspended from Ennis to Limerick as of Monday due to flooding in Ballycar.

Flood waters have been rising in Ballycar over the past week with Iarnród Éireann forecasting that will worsen over the weekend prompting the call to suspend services from Monday until further notice.

Bus transfers will be in operation between Limerick and Ennis in both directions for all services, meaning, Limerick to Ennis and Ennis to Limerick services will be replaced by bus
Limerick to Galway and Galway to Limerick will involve a bus transfer between Limerick and Ennis, and train between Ennis and Galway.

It is the first time in four years that the rail line has closed due to flooding but the problem dates back to 1826. The flooding occurs due to the cumulative affect of rainfall, and the slow drainage associated within Ballycar’s geological and hydrogeological environment. As a result, the line is expected to be closed for many weeks. A report compiled by RPS Consulting estimated that the flooding problems in Ballycar would cost €16m to solve.

Flood waters rose to a maximum height of 1.60m above the railway track during some flood events, despite works which saw Iarnród Éireann has previously raised the track level by 60 centimetres at Ballycar in 2003 to mitigate against the effects of flooding. In addition to causing disruption to rail services, these flood events also caused disruption to the water supply to Newmarket-on-Fergus as well as blocking local roads and restricting access to farming lands.

A report on flood relief options at Ballycar was undertaken by Consultant Engineers RPS for Iarnród Éireann and stakeholder representatives from Clare County Council, the Office of Public Works (OPW), the Geological Survey Ireland (GSI) and the National Parks & Wildlife Services (NPWS). This study recommends a new preferred option of a technically viable drainage scheme that would (prevent flooding of the railway occurring whilst also including any flood mitigation measures downstream that would be necessary either directly or indirectly with this option.

Iarmród Éireann believes the report meets the desired objective to identify the most appropriate technically feasible drainage solution to address the flooding at Ballycar. The indicative costs for the proposed solution is €16.7M including VAT and for this project to proceed a funding source will need to be identified by the Exchequer, and given the works are away from railway property – a responsible agency nominated. The report has been issued to the relevant State department and agencies for their consideration. When a funding source is identified this will permit the project to progress with the steps involved including the appointment of a consultant and the progression of the project through preliminary and detailed design.

Related News

images (14)
Ennis women's rugby documentary to chronicle historic All-Ireland league debut season
morey movement 10-08-26 seadna chloe 2
Morey Movement strengthens Sixmilebridge community through fitness
us military troops shannon (1)
Stopping military use of Shannon would damage Irish & US links says NATO commander
feakle festival 10-08-26 2
Feakle Festival hits the high notes with 'biggest festival ever'
Latest News
morey movement 10-08-26 seadna chloe 2
Morey Movement strengthens Sixmilebridge community through fitness
clonlara v inagh kilnamona 06-07-25 cathal tots o'connell james fred hegarty 1
'Inagh/Kilnamona are best team in this year's Clare SHC'- says Clonlara boss Madden ahead of crunch clash
us military troops shannon (1)
Stopping military use of Shannon would damage Irish & US links says NATO commander
feakle festival 10-08-26 2
Feakle Festival hits the high notes with 'biggest festival ever'
éire óg vs doonbeg 15-08-26 darren moroney gearoid white 1
'We were by no means perfect' - Éire Óg ship three goals for first time since 2020
Premium
Munster GAA Chair accused of putting Kerry before province when defeating Clare proposal & GAA top brass back continued Allianz sponsorship
Ballyea 'don't have full control' on their fate heading into final round
CLARE IFC: Banner & Cooraclare book quarter-final places, Naomh Eoin & Wolfe Tones bounce back & Clondegad keep cruising
Corofin on the cusp of knockout football while putting St Breckans on the brink of relegation battle
Dominance from Ennistymon's middle eight sees them advance to last eight & avenge Kilmihil loss

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.